Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having middle abdominal pain, is that sign of…

Customer Question
I have been having middle...
I have been having middle abdominal pain, is that sign of pancreatic cancer
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Oncology
12/18/2017
Oncologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor (MD)

Welcome and thank you for your question. May I have more details, please?

- Since when have you had the pain? When is it more - in the morning , at night, after eating?

- Where exactly is the pain - around the belly button, above it, below it?

- Do you have normal bowel movements ? Do you have bloating or gas?

- Do you have any problem passing urine?

- Do you have an active life style?

I will get back to you once I receive your reply.

Thanks

I have the pain couple of weeks, the pain is around naval. Have normal bowel movements and no problems with urine. Exercise frequently

Thank you for your reply.

The commonest cause for pain around the navel is indigestion due to peptic ulcer. A peptic ulcer is an ulcer either in the stomach or duodenum (upper intestine) due to chronic gastritis and acidity. High acidity even without an ulcer can cause indigestion with bloating of the intestines with gas - this can cause pain behind the navel.

Other less common causes are appendicitis ( if the pain radiates from behind the navel to the lower right side of the abdomen accompanied by vomiting) or umbilical hernia.

In your case, gastritis and indigestion is likely since you have had the pain only in the last couple of weeks and bowel habits are normal.

Please take antiacid medicine like TUMS and anti gas medicines like Gas-X, both available without a prescription. If you do not feel better, you will need prescription strength medicines and will need to consult a doctor.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Pancreatitis causes upper abdominal pain which radiates to the back. The pain generally increases after eating, especially after eating high fat foods. If your pain does not radiate to the back, it is not due to a problem with the pancreas.