Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned about my sister as she is now in hospital…

Customer Question
Hello there I am concerned...
Hello there I am concerned about my sister as she is now in hospital because she found that she had a swollen lymph node under her arm pit and then she went to the doctors and they did a marogram to make sure it wasn’t anything to do with breast cancer and that came back all clear. Then then within 2 weeks of that the lump went down and then she didn’t think anything more of it and then last week she went into hopistal and her symptoms were fluid in her stomach that they had to drain 800mls out of for a few days. And had trouble breathing and a backache. And also why the doctor sent her to the hospital is cause they did a Ct scan and found that she had a mass near her spine.Can you tell me what is Likely going o
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Oncology
12/14/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

How old is she?

Was the biopsy done of mass?

What did the analysis of fluid from abdomen show?

She was having a ultra sound done in the mass near her spine in a few days and he is 51 years old and I don’t know that the fluid showed. Can you tell me what this is likely to be? Can could be be from advanced or could it be the cancer that goes thru your whole body!

This can be;

1) Cancer or

2) tuberculosis.

Is that the symptoms you can get with tuberculosis?

Yes, this can happen due to tuberculosis too.

But can it cause a mass near the spine also?
Can it cause a mass in the spine like my sister has
Oncologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that your sister has a mass near her spine.

Tuberculosis can cause a mass near the spine or almost anywhere in the body.

Unfortunately, you must wait for the pathology report to determine what the mass is. This usually takes 24-48 hours.

Hello there I have just had a update on my sister and they got a report back that there was something in her pelvis and in her back bone and lymph nodes so can this mean that the cancer could have spread,

Thank you for this additional information. It is unfortunate, but she may have cancer that has metastasized (spread). The original problem (cancer or TB) will be determined by the biopsy once the report is completed. Then treatment can be started to help her. I'm sorry that you and your sister have to go through this ordeal.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.