Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My nephew in new jersey has seen a few docs, specialists and…

Customer Question
my nephew in new jersey...
my nephew in new jersey has seen a few docs, specialists and is now with an oncologist team. he has 3 potential diagnosis,
one is the blood artharitis, or rumitoid artharitis or bone marrow cancer.
it's been decided that the only way to determine which one is to have a pet scan. however, he is getting pushback on having it now. the other problem is if he has it before end of dec. his insurance will pay. if Jan1 forward it will cost him $6k.
How can he make this happen, what recourse does he have with the physcian group that he is working with.??
bot***** *****ne how does he get the test b y dec. 31???
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Oncology
12/3/2017
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I'm not sure what you mean by blood arthritis

rheumatoid arthritis can be checked with blood test such as rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.

bone marrow cancer can be confirmed by a medical oncologist doing a bone marrow biopsy and sending out the cells for evaluation.

a PET/CT scan may not be helpful

ok thanks something sounds fishy here with their doc group. i will research it with them.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.

I am a cancer doctor.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com