Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Hernia surgeon------I selected the best dr catagory i could…

hernia surgeon------I selected the best...
hernia surgeon------I selected the best dr catagory i could find...---how soon can a man have a colonoscope after repair f a 6 cm left side inguinal hernia and why is there a higher risk to do tnne colonoscopy with the hernia vs. having the hernia repaired and then doing the colonoscopy?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

You can have a colonoscopy within a month of having a hernia repair surgery. Were there any complications during the surgery you had?

i had an incomplete colonoscopy in summer 2015. the scope could not get past the left inguinal hernia. the part seen was fine. I had a perfect colo in 2010 and before in 2005 and was scheduled for another colo in 2020 but they had ne under for an endoscopy [it was ok]. I have been remiss in hernia repair because of the birth and events of two out of town grand sons.
SO I DECIDED TO AK TO take the cologuard and epi colon pro. Both were positive. Now my doctor wants a colonoscopy by an EXPERT with many scopes. I think its over reaction and the hernia repair should come first. marty
If you have the hernia repair done and then do the colonoscopy then you hopefully wouldn’t be wasting much time. The hernia repair is quite straightforward.
Doing the colonoscopy with the unrepaired inguinal hernia might increase your risk slightly of a tear during the colonoscopy.
My understanding is that the positive test results increases my likely hood of developing cancer to about 2% and a lot of people do not really put much faith in the Epi test . Are there any studies about false positives when both tests come back positive ???
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I think I have helped you before on this question.

you can have a pediatric scope procedure for a colonoscopy.

you should get the hernia repaired first.

the hernia must be large if it is blocking a colonoscopy.

Hollow Dr, I agree, but my. Internist is pushing to to go colo first by a. ‘World expert in colos’ . Dr says two positives mean ‘fire down below ‘ so to speak. I was hoping to find report on this. I don’t know how to say Dr , it can wait a couple months . Things always seem to happen, as god is my witness, my daughter fell down a full flight of steps Friday at work . We won’t really know what this means for her and us till we fly in tues...I thought my grandkids might go this , not my daughter .

sorry about your daughter.

I hope she gets better

I'm sure a good colonoscopy GI doctor has a pediatric scope which can help do your colonoscopy

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Wanted to leave a tip . System is A chsllenge

sorry about the system

you can always call up customer service for help

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)