Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I have a friend who wanted me to ask a question- she’s 25

years old and is about...
I have a friend who wanted me to ask a question- she’s 25 years old and is about 30 weeks pregnant and found this new lump in her breast, she showed it to her doctor and she told her she wasn’t concerned and that it was probably just dense breast tissue. Well she still feels iffy about it. She said it feels oval and mostly smooth but also feels like it has a few ridges. Should she see a different doctor about it or just leave it and trust her OBGYN? Also how common is it to develop breast cancer during pregnancy?
11/19/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Has it grown at all in size since it started?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She said she doesn’t think so. It is also mobile

The fact that it feels oval and smooth is a good sign. The chance of it being a breast cancer during pregnancy is quite low but there is always a chance. Usually with these things I always recommend a second opinion. Alternatively, her doctor can order a breast ultrasound which would help show whether it's suspicious or benign.

With everything I have heard I would feel comfortable having her wait a little while longer and only request the ultrasound or a second opinion if it gets larger.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She also said that it feels a little smaller then a pea and it wasn’t there at all about 3 months ago. Would cancer grow that fast? How common is ferric breast cancer at age 25? She said she’s had other lumps that came and then eventually went away.

Yes, cancer could definitely grow that fast. The chance of breast cancer in someone age <30 is less than 1%.

The chance of it being a completely benign lump is totally possible. But to put her mind at ease she can certainly work it up with another doctor.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She was also told that if it’s mobile that it was a good sign and that cancer generally isn’t mobile
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

being pregnant, she is developing milk glands in the breast which can become blocked.

she should trust her primary doctor.

this doesn't sound like breast cancer.

a breast ultrasound can tell for sure

smooth is a sign it is benign

mobile is a good sign as well. also her age. we don't really see breast cancer in her age group.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
if it were to be lumpy would be a bad sign?

lumpy is very common in the breast

there are many normal glands in the breast

these glands get larger during pregnancy

lumpy is not a sign of breast cancer.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you!

you are welcome

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)