Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a benign tubulovillous adenoma (over 1 cm ) in my…

Hi I just had a...
Hi I just had a benign tubulovillous adenoma (over 1 cm ) in my rectum removed.It was recommended that I get another colonoscopy in a year.How much do i need to worry about this.The doctor said after the colonoscopy 'You're fine the polyps are benign .You will be ok" but now I am reading about this type of polyp and people having a benign tubulovillous adenoma removed but that it grew back and either became cancer or they had that part of their colon removed so as not to chance cancer.Do they really know if they got all the tubulovillous adenoma or are they just hoping and I have a bad spot in my rectum that could become cancerous?Can they keep just going back and removing the polyp if it regrows(or if i get a tubulovillous adenoma in a different spot) or is it likely to become cancer and they will have to decide on more drastic measures even if cancer isn't present at that time?And is it worse that it was in my rectum than my colon?It seems with your colon they can remove part of it but with your rectum I would think it would have to be completely removed.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I absolutely agree that a colonoscopy should be done in 1 year.

this is important to look at regrowth

is this almost like having cancer?What am i looking at here as far as risk? Am i close to having my rectum removed?Do I have to be on pins and needles about this from year to year from now on?
Can they keep just going back and removing the polyp if it regrows(or if i get a tubulovillous adenoma in a different spot) or is it likely to become cancer and they will have to decide on more drastic measures even if cancer isn't present at that time?

No it is not likely cancer

It is a precancerous polyp

so removal often takes care of it

If it regrows in a year you will likely need part of the colon removed

as this indicates it is growing VERY fast and turning into cancer

is this helpful?

it was in the rectum so what then?
i am not in great shape given all this i assume?

They would remove part of the rectum most likely and reconstruct it

is it safe to assume that i already have a very serious condition close to having cancer?

No that is not safe to say

it could be totally benign

you have to see what happens over the next year

ok so i just wait and hope

That is all you can do.

but I think you will be fine

Was this chat helpful?

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
ok so if it shows even a little regrowth i can expect to have part of my rectum removed? and can they remove just part of your rectum? It just seems with your rectum you either remove it or you dont.
Maybe i should go back in 6 months .How do they even know it was all removed?

They will be able to see and will take another biopsy at the targeted site

Isnt there something that can be done now? Why wait?If there is a chance of cancer why not use radiation on that spot now?
You would take unnecessary radiation? I sure as heck wouldn't
Well what are the chances that something grows back at that spot?and if it does my rectum or part of it has to be removed?Compared to that whats some radiation?

I would say 20% chance something grows back

and only a small percentage of those would be cancer