Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that had metasticized…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed...

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that had metasticized to my liver in June of 2016.12 inches of my colon was removed.Chemotheraphy began 6 weeks later and after 18 treatments of Folfox/Folfiri and Avastin the liver lesions shrunk to the point that surgery was suggested.John Hopkins removed 10% of my liver and I was cancer free at the time.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

This is a very complicated question and needs an oncologist to review preferrably a colon oncologist

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes.90 days after my surgery a cat scan identified seven lesions 1cm each or less.Three weeks later there were 9 and had doubled in size.From the onset of my cancer CEA levels were tested on every blood test.They followed my cat scans pretty closley.They ranfged from 20 to 10 with the average being roughly 13.At the time of my cat scan that revealed the seven new lesions my CEA was 3.As the lesions grew my CEA grew to 5.3.I entered a clinical trial at the end of September and my CEA was <0.02.One month later a cat scan showed my liver lesions had not grown.My next test three weeks later showed CEA at 2.6.yesterday my blood test showed CRA at 1.6 which is in the normal range for people who do not have cancer.None of my dioctors can explain while I still have several cancerous lesions in my liver why my CEA is so low.Unless the type of cancer has changed how is it possible for the CEA level follow my cat scans for over one year but suddenly drop to normal levels if I still have cancer? There was no biopsy after the cat scan showed new lesions 90 days after surgery.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/17/2017
Oncologist: DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

here is a note on my last cat scan "Note that some of the lesions appear less cystic compared to prior" I have been told asnd read that CEA does not usually detect cancer but is very accurate in predicting furure cancer after surgery.
My email account says you have answered my question but there is no answer when I go back to this page.

are you sure the lesions are cancerous?

have they been biopsied?

they could be something else

Heck, tuberculosis can look like this

There has been no biopsy since my colon surgery in June of 2016.My oncologists tell me they are 99% sure they are cancerous.I do not understand why my CEA levels were elevated until surgery which then showed 3.0 but then after the cancer returned my level was 5.3 and the cat scan showed that the lesions were the same size as they were when the CEA was 3.0.I do not understand how my CEA is currently 1.6 and either can my doctors

I think you need another biopsy my friend