Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have some anxiety and I find myself clenching my jaw a lot…

Customer Question
I have some anxiety and...
I have some anxiety and I find myself clenching my jaw a lot and I know the muscles running down right behind my ear and under my jaw are soar but I also have pressure in my neck when I tilt forward or backward. Could this also be the clenching and anxiety?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/17/2017
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, with bad anxiety symptoms, and clenching jaw, you can also have tight throat symptoms and pressure in your throat and neck.

you should talk to your doctor about your bad anxiety symptoms

you may benefit from medications to help decrease anxiety symptoms

you may need a bite guard at night time to help take pressure off of your jaw

you should work on deep breathing exercises and neck and muscle relaxation techniques.

let me know if you have questions.

I do have a night guard but I find myself clenching my jaw all day long. The doctor is also prescribing muscle relaxers to take at night. She mentioned either celexa or wellbutrin as options is there something better to take the edge off the anxiety?

yes, you should try those medications and take them

they can take 3-4 weeks to start working

you should try to relax your muscles

take deep breaths and massage your neck and cheek muscles to help them relax

I am wondering which one of those two options are best to try first or if something like Zoloft would be better

every patient is different. celexa is similar to zoloft

both in the SSRI category.

you can try celexa or zoloft or paxil to see if one helps you have less anxiety symptoms

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I researched celexa a little and it said if you are taking it you are not supposed to take anything like Advil, ibuprofen or Tylenol with it is that true

there is a small risks for SIADH with taking ibuprofen and celexa

there is no risk with taking tylenol

you don't have to worry about these issues right now

you need to get on some medications to help you with your anxiety symptoms

or else you will continue to worry and have bad anxiety symptoms.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)