Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small lump on my collar bone which feels like a…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a small lump on my collar bone which feels like a lymphnode. Its quite small came up a few days ago. It can move back and forth along the bone. Im really worried about it and am scared that it is a sign of malignancy as everything online says a lymph node on the clavicle is likely to be malignant. I am 30 years old and female

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

How do you mean? I dont appear to have any orher symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i can think of. I have been bitten my mosquitos on my neck area a few days before the node appeared. I also had a couple of lymph nodes at the back of my neck in ultrasound they showed to be small and doctor said they were nothing to worry about

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/16/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The lumps on the collar bone can be lipoma or dermoid cyst too.

Not all lymph nodes above clavicle are cancer.

The enlarged lymph node here can be due to mosquito bite or even due to any infection / inflammation around skin of face and neck and surrounding structures.

Any lymph node which is less than one cm is usually clinically insignificant.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

What would you advise me to do?
I cant tell the size but it feels small.
Its just from reading online has really worried me about it being something more serious.
It has been causing me to feel anxious

I can assure you there is nothing worrisome.

You may get a soft tissue ultrasound which will clear the things for you and rule out any disease.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Will an ultrasound by a sonographer be sufficient?
Can an ultrasound show if it is malignant?
And also when do i need to worry about it. If it remains inflammed for a longer time is it worrisome?
Its not very large. But in the past ive found my nodes tend to palpable even after some time. All of those nodes have always been dismissed by doctors as they felt they were not significant even though they had been present for some time

Yes, ultrasound is sufficient. It will tell;

If this is lymph node or else.

What is its nature.

If this progressively enlarges, then it may be worrisome.

Majority of the lymph node enlargement are due to inflammation.

In your age group cancer is extremely rare.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you. I will try to get an ultrasound and try not to worry

You are very welcome.

Please do not worry at all.

A positive rating would be appreciated for my time with you.

Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)