Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I've had left breast pain for 10 months comes and goes. My…

Customer Question
Hi Dr David. I've had...
Hi Dr David. I've had left breast pain for 10 months comes and goes. My gp diagnosed Costochrondritis but now I am noticing veins around my areola and also some broken capillaries at side of nipple. I feel these marks are due to over using hot water bottle when costo was bad. I'm so worried about this pain and these veins.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/15/2017
Oncologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry you are concerned about having the possibility of breast cancer. You can relax, the symptoms you have are not related to cancer.

The "marks" on your breast are very likely to be from the heat and also the pressure of the hot water bottle. May I suggest you discuss getting a steroid injection into the area of the costochondritis with your PCP. The injection will help reduce the inflammation and the pain quickly. Also, you can be given a prescription for oral steroids that you can take for 5 days, which will also be very beneficial in removing your chest wall pain. Again, your symptoms are not a sign of cancer.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions? You may want to discuss getting a mammogram or ultrasound of your breats with your doctor if this has not been done within the past year.