Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pain along with burning down the muscle on my right…

Customer Question
I have a pain along...
I have a pain along with burning down the muscle on my right side that runs from behind my ear down, I also have a pain in the muscle right under the jaw on my right side, and my ear is painful from time to time. I have not had any kind of fever. I just finished off a round of amoxicillin about a week ago for a sinus infection. Could this pain and burning be anything serious?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/15/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing this sort of pain can be due to a couple of conditions. The first one is a muscle spasm which can cause this sort of problem. A muscle spasm is common after the sort of infections that you have had and the spasm an lad to compression of nerves in the area which can cause the burning pain. if this is the case then using an increased amount of plain water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade would be helpful. if that does not help then try using OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily along with OTC topical capsiacin gel. In some cases muscle relaxants may be needed like flexeril or tinazidine.

The other possibility is that of trigeminal neuralgia which is a condition in which there is inflammation or damage of the trigeminal nerve over the face and the jaw. This can cause the sort of burning pain which you are describing and it would be diagnosed on a clinical examination. if this is the case then you should be managed with medications like carbamezapine.

I would suggest that you try the above measures and see if they help and if they dont vvisit your doctor for a full workup.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I have had a complete full work up and they said all of my tests and scans came back normal. This has been going on and off since January.

The tests and blood workup would NOT show whether or not you have trigeminal neuralgia. This is because NONE of the blood tests OR scans for that matter can detect trigeminal neuralgia. It is a clinical diagnosis or a diagnosis based on NCS/EMG and i would suggest that you visit a neurologist to get this diagnosed.

Do you have any more questions?

Can these symptoms be related to anxiety? Does the trig emu all neuralgia come and go like that?

Yes it can, it can occur more during periods of stress and anxiety and YES it can be due to anxiety alone as well but i would like to rule out trigeminal neuralgia first.

Do you have any more questions?

Does tribe I also neuralgia just randomly start? Or is there a cause?

In about 70-80% of the cases NO cause can be found and it can start without a cause. When a cause is found it can be a viral infection, trauma, compression of the nerve, medications etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Are there any other symptoms of it?

burning pain, tingling, sharp and shooting pain. Pain is the major symptom as it is a problem with the nerve.

Do you have any more questions?

you are saying there is no cure for it? Just taking medicine to maintain it. I also have some tiredness in my arms when I use them as well

It can be cured with surgical procedures but those are attempted when all medications to control the problem have failed. They are not tried right away as they are invasive procedures, not always effective and have complications of their own.

Do you have any more questions?

Does the arm tiredness go along with that?

No it does not, if the pain in the ear and jaw also radiates down in the neck and the arms then a spinal issue would be considered. Arm tiredness however would not be a part of trigeminal neuralgia.

. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

The arms are not painful they just feel tired after not doing much.

That can be a spinal issue or electrolyte imbalances or a local muscle related issue.

It wouldn't be any kind of cancer or something serious like that

NO it is unlikely to be cancer or anything serious.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor