Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently received my wbc differential labs back and…

Customer Question
Hi doc, I have recently...
Hi doc, I have recently received my wbc differential labs back and my monocytes were 14% and my neutrophils were 29% and it also says my WBC other/100 WBC, blood were at 35% I have no idea what this is, but what could possibly be causing these abnormallys? I do believe I have some sort of IBD.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Oncology
11/11/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Why was the blood test requested at first place?

Any symptoms you have?

Can you post your WBC report here?

Component Neutrophils %. Manual count
Your value 29 %
Standard range 42 - 76 %
Component Lymphocytes % manual count
Your value 22 %
Standard range 15 - 47 %
Component Monos %, man cnt
Your value 14 %
Standard range 1 - 11 %
Component Eosinophils % manual count
Your value 1 %
Standard range 0 - 7 %
Component Basophils %. manual count
Your value 0 %
Standard range 0 - 1 %
Component RBC's, morphology
Your value NORMAL
Standard range
Component Platelets,bld,ql, man ct
Your value CONFIRMD
Standard range
Component WBC other/100 WBC, blood
Your value 35 %
Standard range <=0 %
Component Comment, hematology
Your value SEE NOTE
Standard range
Component WBC other/100 WBC, blood
Your value 35 %
Standard range <=0 %
The reason I went in was because I had been feeling sick for the last two weeks body ach and headaches almost like the flu without the other symptoms I just started to felel better the days before the labs , I had been having constipation and some discomfort in my right abdomen as this is been on and off thing I thinks is Ibd
The doctor ordered the labs just to do a physical as I had not been in in a long while

Thank you,

This is confusing...

"Component WBC other/100 WBC, blood
Your value 35 %
Standard range <=0 % "

Do you have this in your email or a paper report?

No this is an online report

Does this report mention total WBC count?

Complete blood countComponent WBC COUNT
Your value 8.8 K/uL
Standard range 3.7 - 11.1 K/uL
Component Red blood cells count
Your value 4.56 M/uL
Standard range 4.10 - 5.70 M/uL
Component Hgb
Your value 13.4 g/dL
Standard range 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL
Component Hematocrit
Your value 40.2 %
Standard range 39.0 - 51.0 %
Component MCV
Your value 88 fL
Standard range 80 - 100 fL
Component RDW, RBC
Your value 12.9 %
Standard range 12.0 - 16.5 %
Component Platelets count
Your value 290 K/uL
Standard range 140 - 400 K/uL
Component RBC's, nucleated
Your value 0 /100WC
Standard range <=0 /100WC

This is clear now.

Red cell count and hemoglobin is normal. So are the platelets.

White cells are of different types and each has a different role in body. These are Neutrophils, Eosinophils, Basophils, Monocytes, and Lymphocytes.

Your Total WBC count is normal; however there is "relative neutropenia" which means that the neutrophil count is little low which is going with a viral illness in your clinical picture.

Is there any comment mentioned at the end of report?

No
They just said she come in in three weeks and retake the labs to see if they are back to normal

Well in that case this doesn't look significant.

This looks like acute changes in the counts of white cells physiologically to help fight back the infection and once you are completely well, the counts will be normalized.

Goodluck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.