Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to request Doctor Uzaier. I spoke to you at…

Customer Question
I would like to request...
I would like to request Doctor Uzaier. I spoke to you at great length in August. My husband has a side branch IPMN in the uncinate process of the pancreas head. It's 2.6 cm, no mural nodules, ductal dillitation, etc. we saw a surgeon and he said the CEA level is greater than 1,000 but didn't seem to concerned about that level in predicting malignancy alone. He feels it's still benign but will change to cancer eventually. We are considering the Whipple surgery. How does he know it's benign?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Oncology
10/15/2017
Oncologist: Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon replied 6 months ago
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for requesting me. I recall our conversation.

According to what I recall, your husband is being investigated thoroughly and the reason your doctor knows it is benign is because of the characteristics of the lump, its symptoms and its presentation. As I mentioned before, malignancies in the pancreas are very frank in their presentations and have particular clinical signs and tell tale characteristics on imaging.

Having said that, whipples is an extensive procedure and will remove the lump completely. The lump/ specimen will be sent to the lab for a detailed pathology analysis. This will give us a detailed insight on what the lump really is. So, everything will be clear.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

What about the CEA level being so high?
Are you familiar with side branch duct IPMNs?

CEA levels do not differentiate between malignant and benign pancreatic mucinous cysts. Yes, I am familiar with side branch intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms in the pancreas.

The amylase level was low and I thought it should be high in IPMNs. How did the surgeon know it's an IPMN versus an MCN? What would you recommend as a doctor? Monitoring every 3 months or surgery? How fast do they turn malignant?

Amylase is only raised in acute conditions of the pancreas. Not all IPMNs have increased Amylase levels specially not side branch IPMNs.

The surgeon has all the investigations reports and imaging, that is how he knows.

I would recommend that you have this operated as that is the best chance of removing the lesion and giving you peace of mind since for as long as the lesion is in there you will always be anxious about it being a malignancy. In my practice, I inform my patient about his/her options and then let him/her take the decision on how to proceed.

They are a precursor to malignancy, there is no time prediction about how fast they can turn.

How soon would you recommend surgery? He has a follow-up MRI in December. Does the high CEA level worry you and what does it mean?
Does it change to malignancy in weeks or months? I just want to make sure it doesn't change by December

It can take years to change in to malignancy.

The CEA level does not worry me. It is a tool to assess treatment rather than diagnose malignancy.

I suggest, get the MRI in December and go from there.

Take care.

What does a CEA level of greater than 1,000 in a side branch IPMN mean exactly?

It doesn't mean anything for now. The CEA levels are usually done as a baseline. Once, the lesion is removed, the CEA levels will come back to normal and the doctor will monitor and observe your husband by doing 6 monthly and then annual CEA levels. If the CEA levels increase then that means there is a recurrence, if they stay the same, that means there is no recurrence.

Don't worry about the CEA levels.

Take care.

Ok, the surgeon said they are normally single digit numbers but his was very elevated. Have you seen beinign cysts with CEA levels <1,000?

CEA levels do not correspond with malignant and benign nature. I have seen many benign lesions with levels < 1000 and many with levels >1000. I do not look at CEA levels to judge the severity of a lesion, neither does any other oncological or hepatobiliary surgeon. They are used for monitoring.

I will appreciate a rating at this point in time.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer
Dr Uzaer, Cancer Surgeon