Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My mother just finished her chemotherapy for Stage 4 bladder…

Customer Question
My mother just finished her...
My mother just finished her chemotherapy for Stage 4 bladder cancer . It was a strange case where there was no cancer found in her bladder, just metastases in her lymph nodes. After completing all six rounds, one of her nodes is still large (mesenteric root, short axis = 14mm). Our oncologist says this is non-measurable, but still could have cancer in it. This lymph node used to be 29mm in the short axis and has shrunk by about 60%I was researching other forms of cancer- is it possible that her lymph node has always been 14mm? And, if not, could it just be a collection of dead cells or inflammation caused by the chemotherapy? Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Oncology
10/4/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Since the lymph node is being measured by the same technique; so chance of it being only 14 mm before also, is not likely. It was 29 mm which has shrunk now.

I agree with your other observation that this may not be malignancy now as rest of all of her lymph nodes have disappeared. This may be just a scar tissue and there may not be any malignancy left.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Your doctor may get a positron emission tomography (PET scan) for the evaluation of the residual lymph node.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl