Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Ellavated liver labs causes

Customer Question
Ellavated liver labs causes
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Oncologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The cause would vary according to which labs are elevated.

Could you attach all the results of you liver lab tests?

They were 57 and one was 59

Which tests were 57 and 59?

Not sure Main one they do for yearly labs
A

They are most likely the AST and ALT, but the answer would vary slightly depending upon which is which.

First, the AST and ALT are two common liver enzymes. There are other liver enzymes, including GGT and alk phos (or alkaline phosphatase). A liver profile also usually checks other tests of liver function, such as bilirubin, protein and albumin levels. When the only abnormality is a mild elevation of the AST and ALT, it may not be a serious issue.

It is also worth noting that the AST and ALT are very sensitive to even minor issues affecting the liver. When there is significant inflammation of the liver, the AST and ALT will frequently become elevated into the hundreds and thousands. An elevation of these enzymes is considered mild if there is an increase up to 5 times the upper limit of the normal range. So, results of 57 and 59 are very mild elevations.

There are many common causes of mild elevations in AST and ALT. Most problems will affect the ALT more than the AST, but alcohol will frequently affect the AST more than the ALT. So, if the AST is the 59 value, that would be more worrisome that it could be related to alcohol effect on the liver. When the AST is much higher than the ALT, such as twice as elevated, it is much more likely that it is related to alcohol, but that obviously would not be true in your case.

Other common causes of mild elevation in liver enzymes include simple viral infections (such as upper respiratory tract infections), specific liver viral infections (although the enzymes will typically get much higher as the infection progresses), substances that affect the liver, and metabolic conditions that affect the liver, most often fatty infiltration of the liver or hemochromatosis (excessive iron that deposits in the liver). Although alcohol is the most common substance that can affect the liver, there are many others, including acetaminophen, and many prescription drugs.

It is so common that a simple viral infection can cause mild liver enzyme elevation, if there is no apparent cause on history and physical, doctors frequently will simply recheck the labs after a period of time. During that time, it is reasonable to avoid common substances that affect the liver, particularly alcohol and acetaminophen. If the rechecked values are normal, then there is no need for further evaluation. If the mild elevation persists, then further evaluation, including additional blood work and an ultrasound of the liver would be appropriate.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Dr. D. Love, Doctor