Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Dr does a nodule of 1.1cm mean its cancer?

Customer Question
Dr David does a nodule...
Dr David does a nodule of 1.1cm mean its cancer?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Oncology
9/19/2017
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

no, a 1.1cm nodule doesn't mean it is cancer.

is this a thyroid nodule? thyroid nodules larger than 1 cm in size have a 20% chance of being a thyroid cancer and 80% chance that it is benign.

let me know if you have questions.

its on the thyroid
If it s cancer is it curable?

yes, thyroid cancers are often very curable with partial or complete removal of the thyroid gland

which is a very common surgery and has a high chance of curing most thyroid cancers

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Is it a death sentence?
She had a normal ultrasound done. The doctor told her to wait 3 months to see if it grows. If it does she will send her to an ent should she wait or just go?

no, it is not a death sentence.

I said it is very curable.

you can safely wait 3 months.

What test does the ent perform?

ENT doctors can order biopsies of your thyroid nodule

they can do surgery to remove your thyroid gland if you need to have it removed.

Does a nodule increase and decrease in size

it could very very very slowly increase in size over many months and years.

but most likely it will stay the same size

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Update so she went to the ent today and turns out she has several small nodules on the thyroid, the doctor order some more blood work before he decides what he is going to do.
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 10 months ago

I see.

do you have other questions?