Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

They just found a 1.1 CM solid thyroid nodule how fast

Customer Question
should my mom get it...
they just found a 1.1 CM solid thyroid nodule how fast should my mom get it biopsy will this starts to grow very quickly? She had a normal ultrasound done. The doctor told her to wait 3 months to see if it grows. If it does she will send her to an ent should she wait or just go?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Oncologist: tazechip, Other replied 11 months ago
tazechip
tazechip, Other

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Are you saying the ultrasound didn't show the nodule?

It did and it measured it to be 1.1cm.

And did she have her thyroid function studied--T3,T4, TSH?

She did back in may but the doctor said the thyroid function was normal but don't know if it was th3 th4 or th?
The ultrasound was done 2 weeks ago.

OK

Over 90% of the time these are benign

That said, this still needs evaluation now with a radioactive thyroid scan and a fine needle aspiration biopsy to make sure it's benign

So she needs to see the ENT now for that

I see no reason to wait three months to see if it grows

Please let me know if you need any more information

Should she get a new set of thyroid test or just go straight to an ent. That's what I told my mom no reason to wait for things to go down south it that were to occur. So the ent will perform these test when she goes?

Just straight to the ENT

The thyroid functions would just be checking to see if it were a "hot" nodule--producing extra thyroid hormone

Those are much less likely to be cancer but it still should be biopsied

I'm just scared for her, I know everyone will eventually die. If it comes back begnin is no further test require. If it comes back malignant what would be the next step.

Most thyroid cancer nodules that are cancer are not a death sentence--by surgically removing the one lobe with the nodule is a total cure

And if it is benign there's no need for any treatment

there is possible hope on both ends, I'm going to call her and tell her to make an appointment as soon as possible. When the nodule is begnin does the the size increase and decrease?

Absolutely a lot of hope here--even if it's malignant it's totally curable with surgery

Sometimes benign nodules will decrease in size on their own

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you John

Hopefully everything comes out okay. Thank you

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you