Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My tongue has yellow coating on it usually when I wake up.

Customer Question
Hi. My tongue has yellow...
Hi. My tongue has yellow coating on it usually when I wake up. It comes off very easily and I noticed what look like large papillae also. Been going on for a while and happens right after I had tooth extraction and grafting. Seems more prevalent after coffee. It doesn't happen during the day. It comes off with a scraper or even my nail and it's yellow and paste like. Trying to be as detailed as possible! Any ideas? Kind of a worrier. Category selection is weird and I didn't have a good selection
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Oncology
9/8/2017
Oncologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply & for attaching picture.I have seen it.

The picture you have sent & the symptoms you have described of having yellow coating can be due to various causes.

The most common causes of yellow coating on tongue are:

-Smoking
-Nutritional deficiencies
-Inflammation of the papillae, which then collect yellow bacteria.
-Mouth breathing,
-Dehydration
-Fever
-Infection
-Jaundice

Unhygiene or low immunity or above causes leads to growth of bacteria which leads onto yellow coating.

-The best treatment is rinse with peroxide and brush/scrape your tongue.

-It is recommended to rinse your mouth with a solution of five parts water/one part hydrogen peroxide, followed with a clear water rinse to help get rid of a yellowish color/coating on the tongue.It is available at your pharmacy & will help you greatly.

-Drink a lot of water

-Eating a balanced and healthy diet to prevent nutritional deficiencies

All this will help to clear this yellow coating on tongue.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

This is after I scrap it off

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,most of the yellow coating has gone away from after the scrapping.

Please rinse your mouth with hyrdogen peroxide as described above for next few days & this will kill/not allow the bacteria to grow.

This will treat the yellow coating.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Does jaundice only appear on the tongue?

No jaundice may appear in sclera,urine & other areas.

It is unlikely that only tongue is yellow in jaundice.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Rather, is that what jaundice on tongue looks like and would it scrap off?

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Jaundice tongue with yellow color is usually not scrap off.

If you have a yellow tongue always and it persists even after trying the various treatments and remedies, it is a good idea to see a doctor for examination & tests so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

The yellow always comes off but I've had it for a while. It doesn't last all day. But it always comes off. Does that sound less serious?

Most likely this seems to be bacterial overgrowth on tongue.

Using hydrogen peroxide can help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?