Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

After suffering with severe right side neck pain, raidiating

Customer Question

After suffering with severe right side neck pain, raidiating to my head, pressure behind my eyes and difficulty swallowing I finally got a doctor to listen. He ordered a CT. I History - had a right sided neck mass in 2011.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: Yes. 1 year, Numbness and tingling also
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: 1 year ago Symptoms started with right sided neck pain, GI issues, right sided numbness, tingling, tachycardia symptoms began about 6 months ago, severe hives recently started.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Most recent report here attached.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you have this severe right sided neck pain.

thanks for uploading the CT scan of the neck.

it seems to show an enlarged reactive lymph node which can enlarge to help fight off infections.

most likely this lymph node is not causing your neck sided severe pain

what would have been a better scan may be an MRI scan of your cervical neck spine which can look for pinched nerves and slipped disks in your neck which can cause severe neck pain

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would they determine if there's an infection. Lab work appears "normal"
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

infection could be something simple like a runny nose, a cold

bad allergies can cause post nasal drip and enlarged reactive lymph nodes in your neck.

I am a cancer doctor

1.7cm lymph node in a 37 year old patient would be very unlikely to have a cancer in it.

it is in the normal range for a reactive lymph node.

lymph nodes are normal parts of your body's immune system and are there to help filter lymphatic fluid to help keep you healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would these scan rule out pinched nerve? And here's an old report from 2011.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

those are CT scans of your neck and neck spine which don't see nerves really at all and don't see disks

the MRI scan looks like an MR angiogram of your neck which is not focused on your neck spine

you need a dedicated neck cervical spine MRI scan with or without contrast to best look for pinched nerves and slipped disks in your neck causing the pain

the 1.7cm lymph node is reactive and is not causing your pain

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

do you have other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I know that the lymph node is reactive if the report states "may be reactive" here are some pictures of other symptoms below and these go along with GI issues, low back pain, increased heart rate.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

yes, the lymph node would be reactive lymph node.

it looks like you havec some sensitive and eczema on your skin as well.

it looks like you have very fair skin and you bruise pretty easily

you are also seeing some normal blue veins under your skin in your hand.

this is normal

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then why isn't it labeled as "reactive" vs. "may be reactive" ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
FYI I don't suffer from eczema and the rash or hives appear out of no where and then go away within an hour or two with no sign it was ever there. My skin is never dry or scaly and I have no allergies. Consulting with a non-cancer doctor is probably my best bet.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

radiologist can sometimes hedge like that to cover their butt

they use language like that often.

it doesn't mean you don't have a reactive lymph node