Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

When I do my monthly Breast exams, I always end up feeling

Customer Question

When I do my monthly Breast exams, I always end up feeling lumps that end up actually being my ribs, how do I avoid this problem? Am I pressing to hard? And what are the chances of getting cancer at 23 years old?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzaer replied 1 month ago.

You must be pressing too hard, be gentle while pressing and the risk of cancer at 23 is very low so nothing much to worry about.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You asked for a different expert

Have you ever been instructed by a physician on how to do a breast self-exam?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't think so
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

OK

That would be my first suggestion--have your doctor show you how to do it and here's a link about that

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/self_exam/bse_steps

My other point would be that breast lumps of any kind are moveable while your ribs are not

So when you think you might be feeling a breast lump, grasp it between your thumb and index finger and move it around--you won't be able to do that with a rib

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What's my risk of getting breast cancer at 23?
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

That's about 1 in 50,000 women--very rare for your age

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

The system says that you have requested a new expert.

What further information would be helpful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have acitallly gotten conflicting information on my risk of getting cancer at me age, and am just wondering what you think. I am 23

Part of the reason that you may be receiving conflicting information is that there are different ways of expressing risk.

For example, the risk can be stated as the current risk of breast cancer for your age. For example, if you look at http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/GettingOlder.html and the graph 2/3 down the page, the curve for women is barely above zero. This graph represents the number of cases per 100,000 women, so this graph supports the expert that says the risk is about 1 in 50,000 women.

Another method for expressing risk is the likelihood of developing cancer for women of a certain age. For example, if you look at http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/risk/understanding, it expresses the risk that a 20 year old woman will develop breast cancer over 10 years is 0.06%, or 1 in 1732 women.

These numbers are really saying similar risks. The 1 in 1732 is over 10 years. But even changing that to a 1 in 17,320 risk per year is only an average risk over the decade. And the risk is greater for a woman in her late 20s than a woman in her early 20s.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is 1 in 50,000?! I have been told by a different doctor on here on a separate post that my risk is 1 in 100 million. But thank you!

You are welcome.

I do not know how a different doctor got a risk of 1 in 100 million.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.