Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

It is that time of year for my -annual check up. I was

Good Afternoon Dr. David, It is...
Good Afternoon Dr. David,
It is that time of year for my bi-annual check up. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 7 years ago and had a unilateral mastectomy when I could not get clear margins from lumpectomy. I had ILC/IDC and some DCIS. My mass was 1.7mm and it was ER/PR positive and her negative. My question to you comes after much reflection. Is there ever a time to stop worrying. At this 7 year mark, I find my usual pre testing jitters. I am still taking Tamoxifen after 2 years of Tamoxifen and 5 years of AI's. I also had oophorectomy. My oncotype was 17 so I did not have chemotherapy. What is the likelihood of recurrence knowing my information?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/15/2017
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your breast cancer was tiny.

yes, after 7 years you can stop worrying

the likelihood of recurrence is less than 1% chance

you don't have to worry.

Should I keep taking tamoxifen dr. David?

you don't need to keep taking tamoxifen

is your medical oncologist recommending you take tamoxifen?

why are you taking it?

because you are afraid of cancer recurrence?

My oncologist recommended it due to good research on taking it 10 years. The med is wrecking my joints and my sleep but I fear recurrence

that research benefits those with higher risks cancers than yours.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Thank you.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)