Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I see slight blood while clearing the throat and it worries…

Customer Question
Hi I see slight...

Hi I see slight blood while clearing the throat and it worries me

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I did the blood work couple months back and it is fine except cholesterol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had appendicitis surgery 10 years back

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Oncology
8/4/2017
Oncologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Since when is the blood clearing your throat?

Are you a smoker?

Do you have sinus issues, known allergies, heartburn, acid reflux, difficulty in swallowing, sore throat, loss of appetite, fever?

Were any investigations done?

43. Last 4 months. I was told it could be dental issue. I had to do deep cleaning. It was done 10 weeks back. I have two big cavities.
NO
Were any investigations done? Did chest xray and it is fine.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Let me at the outset tell you that it is unlikely to be anything serious.

Though it is not serious but as you can understand it needs investigations to ascertain the cause and treatment.

Following are the possibilities and related investigations;

1) Sinusitis; will require an MRI of sinuses.

2) Pharyngeal diverticulum; barium esophagogram would be needed to establish it.

3) Acid reflux/GERD and esophagitis; Need upper GI endoscopy.

4) Chronic laryngitis; need indirect and direct laryngoscopy.

Environmental pollutants and toxic products found in workplaces can cause chronic laryngitis. Infectious and allergic laryngitis is identified by following investigations;

a) MRI of larynx

b) Skin allergy test

c) Serologic markers for autoimmune disorders/ autoimmune panel.

d) Swab of the larynx, culture and sensitivities for bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

e) Sputum culture.

Chronic laryngitis is treated by;

1) Antibiotics

2) Anti allergic
3) Avoidance of fat, alcohol, and caffeine (if one does)

4) Avoid tobacco or smoking (if you do)

5) Avoid environment pollutants and irritants.
6) Steam inhalation
7) Room humidifier

8) Drinking plenty of liquids (2-3 liters a day).

Reflux laryngitis and Acid reflux / Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); treatment is by avoidance of reflux-inducing foods (fatty foods, chocolate), eating five small meals a day without snacking, avoidance of meals for two to three hours before lying down (except for medications), elevation of the head of the bed and an H2 antagonist or a proton pump inhibitor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)