Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery)
5625079

I had 3c rectal cancer, now looking like 4. They took out a

Customer Question

I had 3c rectal cancer, now looking like 4. They took out a lot of my colon and rectum. I had an ileostomy and then got it reversed.
Unfortunately when I'm trying to go to the bathroom, if I push too hard I get blinding pain on either my lower left or lower right abdomen. The pain recedes after about 3 minutes.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thanks

The pain which comes on pushing too hard may be due to narrowing (stricture) of anastomosis of ileostomy loop and rectum.

You may get a CT scan for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already had a check for strictures and they didn't find one, though a very large precancerous polyp was on my clear margin, blocking output. It was removed. What other things could cause pain that makes you double over in this situation?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had a Ct too. No new tumors there but one in my top left lung

The pain can also be due to;

1) Peri anastomosis inflammation or ischemia.

2) Proctalgia fugax.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you doctor Prophalia.
After being 3c with 4 or more nodes involved and regional spread to the vaginal wall, how likely is it that the 3 cm mass with nodules in my upper lung is malignant?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know, not an easy question. I have to wait until mid Aug for biopsy because of traveling.

You are most welcome.

I would not go in the statistics of chance of malignancy.

I would get a PET scan for a categorical answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is a pet scan standard after finding what looks like a met? My oncologist wants to do Ct guided biopsy but hasn't mentioned pet scan. I feel like my scans ate on pieces because my liver was half scanned in February and the other half on ct last week.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then, just to put the cherry on top here:
What is average life expectancy of a stage 4 rectal cancer patient with met to the upper lung? What percentage makes it to 3 years? Sorry for the tough question but I can't ask anyone else.

A solitary lung metastasis can be removed surgically.

A chemotherapy and radiation for local spread can have an high survival for 3 years.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind as I travel. I guess I should be glad I get a nice break like this before going back to fighting cancer. Tell your patients that good attitude can get them very far with cancer!

I completely concur. I salute your spirit and positivity. This goes long way in building up the body immunity.

I am sure you would beat the cancer.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Likewise!

Thanks.