Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

On Saturday night I went to the ER and they found a "1.6cm

Customer Question
On Saturday night I went...
On Saturday night I went to the ER and they found a "1.6cm nonspecific lytic lesion in the right frontal calvarium with thinning of the inner table of the calvarium" (from the report). Ever since then things have gotten worse for me. I have a constant headache with pain shooting down my neck, fever, feeling constantly weak, nauseated. I've gone to 4 ERs but they keep saying my blood work is normal. I don't know what to do I'm worried this is something serious.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Oncology
The nearest level 1 hospital to me is 1.5 hours away
7/13/2017
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you. I also haven't been able to keep hardly any food down.

it sounds like you are worried about having a cancer

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

most non specific lytic lesions in the calvarium are due to benign bone cysts

and are not due to cancer.

you don't have a primary care doctor?

I do not have anxiety symptoms. I do but they are not seeming to address all the symptoms I'm having.

seeing a primary care doctor would be better than just going to the ER over and over again.

I've had all these symptoms for about 2 weeks

"constant headache with pain shooting down my neck, fever, feeling constantly weak, nauseated."

these are pretty non specific symptoms and could be due to viral infection, viral gastritis, severe anxiety symptoms, excessive stomach acid.

how high have your fevers been?

They have ranged from 99-102. I just took it 45 minutes ago and it was 101.6.

this can be due to viral or bacterial infection.

have you tried to take some tylenol to bring down your fever?

have you tried zantac or prilosec or maalox to help decrease stomach acid?

They've tested for a ton of bacterial infections and haven't found anything. I did try Prilosec but it didn't do anything.

prilosec can take a few days to weeks to decrease stomach acid.

medications like zantac or maalox or pepto bistmal can work faster to help settle your stomach

ginger tea and flat ginger ale could help nausea

they should have given you a prescription for zofran or compazine to help your nausea symptoms.

then most likely viral infection then

They are doing a bone scan tomorrow? Is this a standard procedure?

this is to check on that lytic lesion

to see if you have other lytic lesions in your body

you may benefit from a brain CT scan as well.

That is how they found the lesion
I don't know if it helps but that's exactly what the radiologist put

that is why they are doing a bone scan

to look for other spots of lytic bone lesions in the rest of your body

most likely they will not find any

most likely it is a benign hemangioma that caused the lytic lesion in your skull bone.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)