Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I went to the doctors a few weeks ago because I was really

Customer Question

Hi, I went to the doctors a few weeks ago because I was really exhausted and have a lot of pain in the hip and upper leg to knee area. Also the lymphnodes on the right side of my neck swelled. Doctor tested me for mono because one of my kids had mono a few weeks back. The drop test came back positive but my doctor ran more in depth labs. Went back a week later and doctor told me I need to see hematology/oncology because my metamyelocytes and myeolocytes were high. Everything else looked good but that made her and the oncologist she consulted with nervous. Doctor put me on steroids to help with the pain and exhaustion. A week later I ended up having to go back and see her because my sugar levels went crazy. I'm diabetic but has it under control until that point. My A1c was actually down to a 6.2 from a 6.8 just 4 months prior. So my doctor order some more labs and when those came back I know that my WBC was slightly elevated now and the metamyelocytes and myeolocytes were still present. She said I still needed to see oncologist. Well, the one she had referred me to was on vacation and I still have a week until my appointment. What do you think they could be thinking with labs like that?
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I meant to add that the pain in my hip down to the leg and knee is getting to be more and more uncomfortable. This pain has been slowly getting worse for about 5 months now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

steroid therapy will cause your glucose levels to be elevated and can cause your WBC counts to be elevated.

metamyelocytes and myeolocytes are elevated when you are making more WBCs to help fight off an infection.

your recent infection, mononucleosis can cause all of your fatigue and blood count issues.

mono fatigue can take a while to get better, but it will get better.

your issues don't point to a cancer at this point

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was determined after the other tests came back the mono test was a false positive. The doctor said none of the typical blood cells that show viral or bacterial infection were elevated. She said that infection and inflammation had been completely ruled out in labs. The only abnormalities in first tests that caused alarm were high immature granulocytes (metamyelocytes and myelocytes) and liver enzymes but I have hemochromatosis so liver enzymes even being high are not a cause for alarm really.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The doctor tested for lyme, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis as well and those tests were all negative.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fatigue has also been going on since around December. Isn't 5/6 months a bit long for mono fatigue? I let it go on because I didn't think much of it because I am the full time 24/7 caregiver to my severely wounded veteran husband. Same thing with the pain in hip/leg/knee.

mononucelosis doesn't elevate WBC counts.

mononucleosis is caused by epstein barr virus. you need ebstein barr virus antibody tests for IgG and IgM to see if you have a mono infection. elevated IgG to this virus means you have had prior exposure. elevated IgM to ebstein barr virus means you have a current infection of mono

you could be exhausted because you are a 24/7 full time caregiver to your veteran husband. you may need a break from care giving to help your fatigue

let me know if you have other questions.