Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Can a person whom has stage 4 lung cancer, have their lung

Customer Question

Can a person whom has stage 4 lung cancer, have their lung removed.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well it is possible to have the lung removed in a patient with stag IV lung cancer but it wont be of any particular benefit, the reason being that in stage IV lung cancer, the cancer has spread to other parts of the body. This means that even if the primary location, the lung, is removed it wont result in elimination of the cancer and infact in some situations, removing the primary tumor site can result in the remaining cancer which has spread to other parts of the body to actually accelerate its growth and spread more rapidly. So that is why when a person has stage IV lung cancer it is NOT recommended to remove the lung or a part of the lung or even undergo tumor resection surgery in most cases. Secondly, removing the whole lung would result in significant morbidity and would cause the person to suffer from serious issues in which they may be unable to breathe adequately. So basically removing the lung would not result in elimination of cancer from the body.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/