Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Are you there? I have another problem

Customer Question
Hi Dr David , are...
Hi Dr David , are you there ? I have another problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
11/27/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

what is your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr David ,I am freaking out because I think I have lupus . I say this because for the last week I have had pain in my wrist , my ankle and a few of my fingers . They are not red or swollen or stiff .I am terrified . Does this sound like lupus ?

no, it doesn't sound like lupus.

most likely from cold weather and arthritis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But doesn't lupus cause joint pain ?

lupus causes many other symptoms than just joint pain.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please tell me what other symptoms ?Also , does my age bracket get lupus ? Age 46 white female

you have bad anxiety symptoms

you don't need to keep looking for other symptoms for lupus

you don't have lupus

you have some arthritis or cold weather pains in your joints.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But can you please tell me what the physical symptoms are ? Maybe I have some others .Can hypothyroidism make your joints hurt ? I am always cold too.

you don't have other lupus symptoms.

hypothyroidism can cause your joints to hurt and for you to feel cold as well

you should get your thyroid hormone levels checked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . Maybe I will ask my Dr to check my thyroid.I do have a few questions about lupus just for my own knowledge because I know that I can't believe everything on the internet :1. Am I the right age for it ?
2. Is it a hereditary disease?
3. How common is it ?
4. Is it a fatal disease?
5. Is there any way to prevent it ?Thank you

Although most women who get lupus are ages 15 to 45, when estrogen levels are higher, a number of women get lupus after menopause, when estrogen levels are low.

No gene or group of genes has been proven to cause lupus. Lupus does, however, appear in certain families

According to the Lupus Foundation of America, approximately 1.5 million people in the U.S. have lupus, so it is not very common.

Lupus is not a fatal disease. In fact, today, with close follow-up and treatment, 80-90% of the people with lupus can expect to live a normal life span.

there is no known way to "prevent" Lupus

you don't have lupus

please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . Ty Dr David .I've been looking at the symptoms and here's what I found :Joint pain - I seem to be having some . Left wrist , a few fingers , left ankle , right knee. Not swollen or red . Not really " stiff", but sharp pains come and go .Hair loss - my hair has gotten thinner through the years but my mom had thin hair too . I don't have areas of baldnessPhoto sensitivity - do not have at this timeFatigue - yes, but I do not sleep at night , ever. I am up every hour or so and can't fall back to sleep . I don't usually take naps during the day and I can still go joggingRashes - do not have at this timeEdema - do not have at this timeChest pain - do not have at this timeUrine problems - not that I know of . I had a urine strip test at the Dr 2 weeks ago and it was normalDepression - I've had depression for 15 years , so that doesn't count
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PS - nobody in my family has autoimmune disease that I know of

your symptoms are not from lupus.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)