Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had an ultrasound today on what appears to be a swollen

Customer Question

Hello, I had an ultrasound today on what appears to be a swollen submandibular gland on the right side of my neck. I have had it for about 3 months, with recent face tingling and other facial feelings, but only on the right side of my face. In the ultrasound, the image of the submandibular gland was solid black, with three smaller solid black circles below it. Can you help me to figure out what it is?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: 3 months. And numbness and tingling has been going on for about a week.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My father had a tumor on his thyroid that has fingers reaching around to his spine when he was my age.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should have mentioned some other stuff too: I have had an ongoing cough for about 9 months. Nothing too bad, but just constantly there. I saw an ENT and he thinks that it is LPR, but I had bronchitis and pneumonia at the time so he was limited in what he could figure out. That was about two weeks ago. He also said that he believes the lump is normal and that my submandibular gland "fell" and I am now just realizing it is there. I told him that I know my body very well and that I have never had it before.

on an ultrasound, black means something solid as no ultrasound signal is bouncing back.

submandibular gland and normal lymph nodes can look black on ultrasound.

sometimes a small stone can block a submandibular mandibular gland and cause it to swell up.

when do you get the results of your ultrasound

how old are you? are you male or female?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am 35 and a male. There has been no pain, no fever or anything like that. The ENT originally wanted to do a biopsy, but changed his mind and wanted to do the ultrasound first.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not sure how long I have to wait for the results.

your doctor should call you up in a few days with the result of the ultrasound.

I suspect it may show some swelling of the submandibular gland from a mild infection or a small salivary stone.

I bet the ultasound will show some benign lymph nodes as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. There is no infection, as I have had it three months with no pain or fever or tenderness at all. And the ENT was pretty sure it was not from a strong blockage, as it is more rubbery and hard and not like a fluid filled sac or anything like that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, a stone blockage, not a strong blockage.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is hard enough to that when you push on it, other things move... it has no give to it.

it is not due to cancer.

are you feeling or pressing on the submandibular gland frequently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, not very frequently.

I need the ultrasound result to help you know what is going on in your submandibular gland.

I have given you possibilities already.

your ENT doctor can't tell if there is a salivary stone or not in the gland. that is why an ultrasound is needed.

a salivary duct stone is the most common cause of swelling of a salivary gland.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told by the ENT that a salivary stone in the gland or duct causes immense pain and tenderness and that the swelling continues to grow.

that is not always the case

how swollen is the gland? it is difficult for you to tell. the best way to know is from the ultrasound report.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will just wait for that then. How do I end this conversation?

you can end it now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how? i don't see any button to end it.