Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I am 34 years age and, i am having mild abdomen discomfort

Customer Question
Hello i am 34 years...
Hello i am 34 years age and my name is ***** ***** am having mild abdomen discomfort and i am afraid i have pancreastitis
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i have gone for ultrasound and report came normal CBC was done and report were normal no gall stones, and pancreas, spleen are normal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no doctors told me gastritis and hence i am also loosing weight but i have fear of ahaving pancreatitis or pancreas cancer want ot take suggestion of doctor
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2016
Oncologist: Aleksandra Frye,
 replied 1 year ago
Aleksandra Frye

I appologize, my computer is acting strange...

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Oncologist: Aleksandra Frye,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi Lokesh, can you please tell me how long have you had the symptoms and do you have fever, vomiting or blood in stool?

Oncologist: Aleksandra Frye,
 replied 1 year ago

There are additional labs which can be done to check for pancreatitis called amylase and lipase. They are not perfect, but it is definitely some indication.

Here are some more details about pancreatitis so you can see if this fits:

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of pancreatitis may vary, depending on which type you experience.

Acute pancreatitis signs and symptoms include:

• Upper abdominal pain
  • Abdominal pain that radiates to your back
  • Abdominal pain that feels worse after eating
  • Fever
  • Rapid pulse
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Tenderness when touching the abdomen

Chronic pancreatitis signs and symptoms include:

• Upper abdominal pain
  • Losing weight without trying
  • Oily, smelly stools (steatorrhea)

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment with your doctor if you have persistent abdominal pain. Seek immediate medical help if your abdominal pain is so severe that you can't sit still or find a position that makes you more comfortable.

Causes

• Pancreatitis caused by gallstones

Pancreatitis occurs when digestive enzymes become activated while still in the pancreas, irritating the cells of your pancreas and causing inflammation.

With repeated bouts of acute pancreatitis, damage to the pancreas can occur and lead to chronic pancreatitis. Scar tissue may form in the pancreas, causing loss of function. A poorly functioning pancreas can cause digestion problems and diabetes.

Conditions that can lead to pancreatitis include:

• Alcoholism
  • Gallstones
  • Abdominal surgery
  • Certain medications
  • Cigarette smoking
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Family history of pancreatitis
  • High calcium levels in the blood (hypercalcemia), which may be caused by an overactive parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism)
  • High triglyceride levels in the blood (hypertriglyceridemia)
  • Infection
  • Injury to the abdomen
  • Pancreatic cancer

Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), a procedure used to treat gallstones, also can lead to pancreatitis.

Sometimes, a cause for pancreatitis is never found.

Complications

Pancreatitis can cause serious complications, including:

• Pseudocyst. Acute pancreatitis can cause fluid and debris to collect in cystlike pockets in your pancreas. A large pseudocyst that ruptures can cause complications such as internal bleeding and infection.
  • Infection. Acute pancreatitis can make your pancreas vulnerable to bacteria and infection. Pancreatic infections are serious and require intensive treatment, such as surgery to remove the infected tissue.
  • Kidney failure. Acute pancreatitis may cause kidney failure, which can be treated with dialysis if the kidney failure is severe and persistent.
  • Breathing problems. Acute pancreatitis can cause chemical changes in your body that affect your lung function, causing the level of oxygen in your blood to fall to dangerously low levels.
  • Diabetes. Damage to insulin-producing cells in your pancreas from chronic pancreatitis can lead to diabetes, a disease that affects the way your body uses blood sugar.
  • Malnutrition. Both acute and chronic pancreatitis can cause your pancreas to produce fewer of the enzymes that are needed to break down and process nutrients from the food you eat. This can lead to malnutrition, diarrhea and weight loss, even though you may be eating the same foods or the same amount of food.
  • Pancreatic cancer. Long-standing inflammation in your pancreas caused by chronic pancreatitis is a risk factor for developing pancreatic cancer.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/

Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye