Dr. Ashori
Dr. Ashori, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I had a thyroidectomy September 2013 for Metastaic papillary

Customer Question

I had a thyroidectomy September 2013 for Metastaic papillary thyroid carcinoma. My most recent TSH test came back 8.44 H and Thyroglobulin Antiboties came back 62 H. What does this mean. My Dr requested a PetScan which has been denied but my insurance.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Ashori replied 8 months ago.

Hi Dr. Mo here, please give me a moment to reply.

Your TSH can be high, that doesn't mean anything abnormal. What is your T3 or T4 levels?

The PET scan is done to see if there are any thyroid cancer cells left in the body, but usually further blood testing can determine that as well. Who ordered the tests? Your endocrinologist or your primary care doctor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My T4 is 11.9 and my T3 is 112. test wher ordered by my endocrinologist

Those numbers seem high. Are these recently elevated? I'm guessing after 2013 they checked all your values and they were normal. Usually that's done every 6months-1year.

A PET scan is important to get. It could either be a little bit of thyroid tissue that grew back or it could be that they cancer didn't get removed fully. A PET scan and a thyroid uptake scan are what you will need next.

Still, don't be alarmed, it just might mean you might need another surgery but doesn't mean that you are at risk of worsening of the cancer.

Do you have any way to get the PET scan done outside of your network? By paying for it out of pocket perhaps?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was getting check every 6 mo and everything was in normal range. Thne my Dr said he would see me in a year whchi are theses test that where just taken a week ago

I see. That makes sense.

So, I would recommend the PET and maybe even the thyroid uptake test.

Why don't you start with the PET, if the insurance doesn't approve it (which is absurd) then just either switch to a different insurance or pay out of pocket. You can likely later submit the cost if it comes back abnormal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fact that my Dr wants a Pet Scan could mean he may be concerned there is cancer in other areas of my body, correct. I had breast cancer in 1998.

A PET scan is done to see inflammation as well as cancer, you are correct. Your doctor is likely mostly trying to see if there is anything abnormal on the neck, it could be that the cancer has spread to other sites but that's less likely since you already had surgery done.

Did you have radiation as well?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did have 1-131 Iodine Pill follwed by a whole body scan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
15 November 2016 02:54
yes I did have 1-131 Iodine Pill follwed by a whole body scan

Okay, good, so the treatment was quite thorough.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I cant afford to pay for a Pet Scan, I pay to much for medical insurance. I'll just have my husband sue the insurance company if I have cancer and I die...........

You could do that as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks that's very encouraging and optimistic..........Thank you for your input..GoodBy

Sorry, I thought you were being facetious, I didn't mean that in a serious way.

I think if you just contact the insurance company and tell them the situation they will immediately reverse their silly decision.

I didn't mean to come across incensitive, I was trying to help you.

Hi. I was wondering if you had any updates on your case?

How are you feeling?