Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

In rehab after vats left upper lung resection plus biopsy of

Customer Question
middle n lower lung same...
In rehab after vats left upper lung resection plus biopsy of middle n lower lung same side on 10/18. Taken off catheter only to be put back on next day. Removed 14hrs later. Since in rehab 10/22 i have not been able to pee on own and they will only straight cath me if bladder level above 500. Do i have a right to demand long term cath instead of all these scans n cath insertions that feel so violating?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also dealing with lung biopsy pain, added pneumonia pain and since yestetday am left flank pain. What are my rights?
10/26/2016
Oncologist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What did the biopsy show?

What do you mean when you say what are your rights? Are you interested in legal action?

Or do you just want them to put in a long term cath?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see surgeon today. He is hoping results in but were not as of 430pm yesterday. It is interstitial lung disease pulmonary fibrosis but need to know if more involved because of numerous ggn and enlarged lymph nodes along front of chest. I have muscle wasting n weakness. On 3/4l of oxygen depending on activity. I have gerd. I have also been losing weight from food not tasting good. No dx for muscle issues or transient diplopia either. I want to know since i have been asking for long term cath just for now and they are refusing.... can they refuse like that?? Not court i wouldnt go to but maybe that drs superior??

Thank you for that additional information.

One of the reasons they are probably not wanting to put in a long term catheter is because you would have a significant chance of becoming dependent on it for a long time, maybe forever.

By letting your bladder fill up to 500 cc prior to draining your bladder they are stimulating to contract and start working on its own. In many cases, while I do understand this is not fun (a true understatement if there ever was one ;) it is the best way to get your bladder back online.

Of course you can request another physician at anytime. But it is unlikely that you will be able to "make" your current doctor do anything she doesn't feel is medically indicated.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I hope the biopsy results come back good and you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD