Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I'm a 31 male with 10 years of smoking history. Am in the

Customer Question

I'm a 31 male with 10 years of smoking history. Am in the process of quitting, however I noticed once I had some small tiny blood spots in my phlegm. I don't have a cough but since that incident I have been forcing my self to cough just to see if I still have blood and occasionally I still see some small amount of blood. It dosent happen everyday. I went to the gp, gp said it shouldn't be lung cancer. But I am still paranoid and not sure if the problem is caused by my anxiety and forcing myself to cough
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to add that I've been forcing myself to cough Pretty hard just to test if blood would come up
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello !

Age 31 plus 10 year history of smoking still places you ate very low risk for lung cancer

Your description of tiny blood spots within sputum is not very suspicious either ...

When a smoker does quit there may often be about 2 months folowing INCREASE in cough as the cilia that clear the airways are renewed and begin to function better again to bring mucus up from deep in the lungs ...

That aspect is common..

Cough of frank blood would be more serious and unusual

If that should be the cause then referral to a pulmonologist and a chest CT would be in order

Anxiety I agree frequently plays a huge factor in what you notice and perceive as to your health

In your case perhaps the anxiety will at least help you to kick the habit

Risk of lung cancer in average smoker ( which would be more than 20 pack / year history ) would lead to a 10 percent lifetime risk of lung cancer ...

At your age we extremely uncommonly see lung cancer and that explains why your PCP would not suspect that diagnosis with you ..

Give it time -- do kick the habit -- expect as I said more cough and some brownish mucus for a couple of months as typical ..

If you develop other concerning symptoms then you may of course folow up with your doctor or see a pulmonologist

These steps at this time to me seem unnecssary and overkill however

If you have more in terms of coughing up bright streaks of blood or worse then I would suggest response to that with a chest CT / pulmonologist referral / probable bronchoscopy

What you describe does not seem to rise to this level of concern though

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS I advise against you forcing yourself to cough

I'm afraid that you may cause yourself injury

That does not prove anything ...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Anthony for the prompt response.Just to Clarify the issue started a few weeks ago and I only stopped smoking for a a few days. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Same principals apply -- yes to that !

I hope that this is helpful...

Let me know if you have further questions

Best regards!