Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

What type of follow-up is recommended for someone who had a

Customer Question
screening colonoscopy at age 55...
What type of follow-up is recommended for someone who had a screening colonoscopy at age 55 with 6 non-cancerous polyps-3 in rectum (1- 5mm pedunculated, 2- sessile 2mm), 2 sessile 2mm in hepatic fixture, and single frond-like/villous sessile polyp 1mm in ascending colon and WHY?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
10/16/2016
Oncologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well according to the latest guidelines issued by american college of gastroenterology, Non cancerous polyps (the ones which on biopsy did not show ANY signs of dysplasia) can be monitored every 5 years. However if the report showed any signs of an adenoma or any variety, whether it was tubular, tubulovillous etc then a screening colonoscopy would have to be done every 3 years.

The reason for this is that numerous studies have been done over the years which have indicated which particular polyps have the tendency to change in cancer and the optimal time frame for monitoring them was also developed from these studies. This means that in your case, if the report stated only sessile polyps with ONE villous small polyp in the ascending colon that would indicate that a colonoscopy can be done at 5 year intervals. This would be the optimal time frame according to the studies.

Even though you have one villous polyp, the guidelines still indicate a 5 year interval for a repeat colonocopy to be done, if you had more than 3 villous polyps then it would have been done every 3 years as that would have increased the risk of developing cancer but as it is, a single small villous polyp which is 1 mm in size carries a neglible risk of changing into cancer over time. That is why a 5 year interval is recommended. In some situations a 10 year interval can be recommended as well depending on your family history and general health and age etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Well according to the latest guidelines issued by american college of gastroenterology, Non cancerous polyps (the ones which on biopsy did not show ANY signs of dysplasia) can be monitored every 5 years. However if the report showed any signs of an adenoma or any variety (more than 3 in number), whether it was tubular, tubulovillous etc then a screening colonoscopy would have to be done every 3 years. The reason for this is that numerous studies have been done over the years which have indicated which particular polyps have the tendency to change in cancer and the optimal time frame for monitoring them was also developed from these studies. This means that in your case, if the report stated only sessile polyps with ONE villous small polyp in the ascending colon that would indicate that a colonoscopy can be done at 5 year intervals. This would be the optimal time frame according to the studies. Even though you have one villous polyp, the guidelines still indicate a 5 year interval for a repeat colonocopy to be done, if you had more than 3 villous polyps then it would have been done every 3 years as that would have increased the risk of developing cancer but as it is, a single small villous polyp which is 1 mm in size carries a neglible risk of changing into cancer over time. That is why a 5 year interval is recommended. In some situations a 10 year interval can be recommended as well depending on your family history and general health and age etc. Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor