Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

What is normal wbc? My is 18.5, The last two times its been

Customer Question
What is normal wbc? My...
What is normal wbc? My is 18.5
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The last two times its been crazy. Is is high or low and what might cause this
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not on meds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/30/2016
Oncologist: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello ,

Normal WBC is 4 to 10 so yes 18.5 is very high ...

Any fever ?

Infection most common cause ...

Blood problems / marrow problems up to leukemia can be potential concern however ...

Seeking infection is first step with your results

Sed rate / C-reactive protein / urinalysis / urine culture/ chest xray or CT / sinus CT/ blood cultures / echocardiogram /

Pneumonia or kidney infection or endocarditis can cause huge elevations of WBC ( neutrophil highest )

Have you had fever ? Chills ? Night sweats ?

Any symptoms of concern?

Do you know what type cells were high ? Neutrophils, monocytes , lymphocytes ,other ?

Attention first would typically be as I mentioned to look for evidence of infection

If there is not infection as explanation for very high WBC then investigation may turn to look for blood pre-malignant or malignant conditions

SPEP = serum protein electrophoresis is used

Blood smear review by pathologist may be done

Bone marrow biopsy is done if needed ...( not first done of course on that ...Other reasons sought before resorting to that measure )

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor