Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Thanks for reaching out...can a paratracheal lymph node cause stroke like symptoms such as difficulty swallowing,...

Customer Question
Thanks for reaching out....can a...
Thanks for reaching out....can a paratracheal lymph node cause stroke like symptoms such as difficulty swallowing, eating, and talking?
JA: The Oncologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Oncologist can help you best.
Customer: My elderly mothing in law has a right sided paratracheal lymph node diagnosed a year ago. She has a history of a stroke, but about 3-5 months ago she developed slurred speech, difficulty with swallowing, significant weight loss, and chronic drooling. She is in the process of getting further testing done such as a barium swallow, chest x-ray and more speech therapy. All tests are inconclusive for a cause.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Her health has been deteriorating. She has lost a significant amount of weight and she drools all the time. She has trouble eating and drinking thin liquids. It has been going on for several months without any real diagnosis except "anxiety".
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Oncologist should know?
Customer: She is on a large amount of medication for thyroid, blood pressure, incontinence, chronic pain/fibromyalgia, macular degeneration, hypertension, COPD, and DDD-cervical. She is a past smoker. No biopsy has been done.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Oncologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
6/12/2016
Oncologist: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

No a paratracheal lymph node should NOT be cause to the symptoms that you describe ....

The barium swallow may help to diagnose her cause ...

History of stroke could fit as cause ...

If she chokes easily paralysis of one of her vocal cords could be a diagnostic consideration ...so seeing a neurologist and an ENT specialist may be of help...

The combined symptoms sounds more of neurological cause however

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor