How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and my family

Customer Question

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and my family doctor has set up an appointment with a surgeon. My question is: Should I not have had an appointment also with an Oncologist also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you.

It is good thing to have an opinion from oncologist as well, but also take a surgeon's opinion because he is going to operate on you.

The treatment of breast cancer depends on stage and extent of spread, so you will be definitely benefitted by oncologist opinion as well.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating

[Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "For Dr. Chaithanya only" in the medical or health categories.

Below link is the fastest way to reach me,

A little bonus from your side is welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for using

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

there are medical oncologist who specialist in giving chemotherapy and hormone therapy for cancer patients

and also radiation oncologist who specialize in giving radiation therapy for cancer patients.

you should see both doctors

but usually for most breast cancer surgery is the first course of treatment if the breast cancer is small in the breast and doesn't need to be shunk down for lumpectomy surgery.

and for both types of oncologist, the information obtained from the surgery, such as size of the breast cancer, spread to lymph nodes in the arm pit are needed to make decisions upon if you need chemotherapy or not

if you have a lumpectomy breast surgery, you will need radiation therapy to your breast.

so you should see both types of oncologist. but most surgeons will send you to them after your surgery.

but many university hospitals are having multidisciplinary breast cancer clinics where you see all types of specialist before your surgery right after your biopsy results and all of the doctors talk together to make a plan for your treatment.

ask your surgeon to refer you to talk to these types of oncologist before your surgery if you would like to know more about chemotherapy and radiation therapy treatments.

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Please meet the oncologist along with surgeon as I told, he will explain you what treatment is best for your condition. Do not worry about all treatment options before discussing with him. Request to leave a posiitve rating.