Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I have been abusing laxatives for over a year, I stopped but

Customer Question
continued to take miralax. I'm...
I have been abusing laxatives for over a year, I stopped but continued to take miralax. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but my Perinium feels hard and the rectal area also feels hard if I press on it through my vagina. I'm pretty sure there is no bm in there, I think I may have permanent hemorrhoids as I have protruding skin. I have a phobia of cancer and I'm just wondering what this could be, could the laxatives have caused this? I have had a cat scan but no colonoscopy and wouldn't want to unless it's really necessary
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
3/9/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

you most likely are feeling muscles of your pelvic floor.

we don't see rectal cancers or colon cancers in patients your age.

it sounds like you are letting your phobias and fears get the better of you here.

you need to stop poking around if it is worsening your anxiety.

you don't have a cancer in that area.

you need to stop abusing laxatives and eat more fruits and vegetables and prunes in your diet to help you have bowel movements.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)