Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Need help regarding breast cancer information I am 31 and…

Customer Question
Need help regarding breast cancer...
Need help regarding breast cancer informationI am 31 and healthy. I felt tissue a year ago and went to my OBGYN and then to abreast surgeon. He did 3 rounds of ultrasounds. Every 3 months. My last one was in January 2015. He saw nothing and said its just breast tissue. I had healthy tissue.I check my breasts 3 times a month. I fear them so much and fear finding something. I have no family history.Can you please help me here, understand my risk at my age and also, if my ultrasounds serve as any "safe period" where I know nothing has grown in them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
3/2/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

your excessive anxiety is driving your fear of breast cancer.

I have told you before that you should stop doing self breast exams. this is not helpful for you and only worsens your anxiety about having breast cancer.

you need to see a psychotherapist to talk about your fears about breast cancer.

you need to be on medications to decrease your anxiety symptoms.

you don't need a scan again of your breast until age 40.

your risks for breast cancer are super super super super super small that you don't need breast mammograms or ultrasounds until age 40.

I know that but ok on the scans at age 40.Do my tests prior put me in a safer place since my tissues have been examined?
I fear not checking might cause me to miss something
Although, not all lumps are cancer.

yes, I told you that you would be fine to wait to get scans ag 40.

you need to stop examining your own breast.

the more you check, the more worried you will become.

you need to see a therapist regularly about your fears of breast cancer

are you seeing a psychotherapist and psychiatrist?

I have. They basically tell me I have to stop checking. The checking subsides my fear. Then it comes back again. It's terrible.
It's like a breast cancer wouldn't suddenly be palpable. Yet I feel around daily.

I'm also telling you that you should stop checking.

if you continue to check, it means you are not listening to your doctors or me.

you are causing worse anxiety for yourself.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)