Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has Ovarian cancer with quite a large tumor and…

Customer Question
My mother has Ovarian cancer...
My mother has Ovarian cancer with quite a large tumor and doctor gave her 6 months to live and could not continue the chemotherapy because of cachexia. She dropped to 79 pounds with holes developing through skin and then hospice gave her two weeks to a month.
Out of the blue and for the first time in 7 months she is gaining weight, all pain gone and has been taken off hospice.
Saw doctor yesterday and he will be ordering a ct scan but did do an exam on her while in office and says he still feels tumor about same size.
Her cancer is slow growing and is endometrioid ovarian cancer.
My questions are, how can cachexia totally reverse out of the blue? How can there now be no pain at all? She has been improving for 2 weeks and is gaining 5 pounds per week and does this mean cancer is in remission?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
3/1/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

wow, that is very unusual

sounds like a miracle.

maybe her immune system started to attack her ovarian cancer possibly.

it could mean her cancer is spontaneously shrinking on its own

the CT scan will be able to tell more information.

I hope she continues to gain strengthen and gain weight.

this is very very very rare, but can happen.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Answer was ok but vague.

This is Dr. David

I am still here willing to help you if you have other questions.

or if you want me to clarify anything in specific.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)