Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday I went to my local VA Hospital. There is pain in…

Customer Question
Yesterday I went to my...
Yesterday I went to my local VA Hospital. There is pain in my right foot. After taking an X-ray, CT scan and a MRI. The doctor saw that there was an INTRAMEDULLARY LESION. He also said that more tests needed to be taken. Can this be cured or is surgery needed?
Here is the doctors report:
Findings: As seen on the plain radiographs and recent MRI, there
is a 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.3 cm intramedullary lesion involving the
proximal second metatarsal, which is associated with cortical
breakthrough of the lateral inferior cortex (see series 602,
image 25). Internally, the lesion measures soft tissue
attenuation. The remainder of the borders appear relatively
well-defined with a thin sclerotic border. At the posterior
medial aspect of the lesion, there is a lobulated extension with
smooth borders (see series 602, image 29) that does not break
through the medial cortex thins it (series 2, image 96).
Lisfranc alignment is maintained. Also noted are multiple
lucencies within the medial and intermediate cuneiform, as well
as within the first metatarsal head. Tiny additional lucencies
are also present within the proximal third and fourth
metatarsals. These are favored to be degenerative in etiology.
Soft tissue findings are better evaluated on recent MRI. No
definite ligamentous or tendon injury is identified.
Impression:
Intramedullary lesion involving the proximal second metatarsal,
as above, which demonstrates cortical breakthrough of the lateral
inferior cortex. As previously stated, differential
considerations include both benign and malignant etiologies.
Histologic sampling should be considered if clinically indicated.
I am looking for answers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
2/12/2016
Oncologist: dr abid, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question .

Bony lesion that is present in cortical portion of bone need further evaluation as presence of bony lesions along with degeneration indicates some process that could be because of cancer , so first it would be ideal to get biopsy of lesion

to check what actually is going wrong , so that appropriate management may be offered to you , according to biopsy results .

Please proceed with biopsy .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .