Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Incidental finding on MRI report says there is abnormal

Customer Question
pachymingeal enhancement over right convexity...
Incidental finding on MRI report says there is abnormal pachymingeal enhancement over right convexity but also present over left frontal convexity along fall and along left tentorium. Differential diagnosis includes prior / chronic very small subdue all hematoma, dural based metastatic disease and infectious meningitis. Spinal tap performed all clear including cytology. Oncologist says not cancer does not present that way wants repeat MRI in 3 months. Why does he want me to repeat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
2/10/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

your doctor wants to repeat it in 3 months to be on the overly safe side.

most likely the MRI scan will be the same in 3 months which will give even more evidence that there is no evidence of cancer in that site.

are you not willing to do a repeat scan in 3 months?

how old are you?

69. If it is not absolutely necessary, I don't want to do it.
Do you think it is necessary?

I can't see your MRI scan or see your MRI scan report

how much risk are you willing to take?

if you have a 5-10% chance it could be cancer would you still not want to do the repeat scan?

Cytology from spinal tap was negative for malignancy.

yes, I know this

if you don't want the scan in 3 months, don't get the scan.

If cytology from spinal tap was negative for malignancy then what would be the point of repeating the MRI?

not all brain malignancy cause spinal tap fluid with cancer.

most brain cancers don't cause spinal tap positive tumor cells.

Thx

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com