Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I am 28 years old. Back in July/August I had swelling in my

Customer Question
Hello! I am 28 years...
Hello! I am 28 years old. Back in July/August I had swelling in my mouth (that has gone down) and a lymphnode near my coratid artery on the left side of my neck popped up. It was sore at first. However, it stopped being sore and never went down but never got any bigger. They did an ultrasound of it and weren't worried about it. However, they found a thyroid nodule that they biopsied and it was benign and drained the fluid. I have had periodic bloodwork regarding the node and have been sent to a general surgeon who didn't think it was a concern despite it being a little enlarged. Fast forward to December, I had a ct scan done with contrast on my neck and although the node showed a little enlarged they said it didn't show anything abnormal. Since then, they found a small node under my left arm which they did an ultrasound on and no abnormalities and I had pain under my left jaw and found a small node (near the original one) that was small but very sore. It is still there, but no longer sore...id say it's the size of a pea if that. All this time, I've had no other symptoms. I worry A LOT about health issues. Recently, over the past 3-4 days I've been getting queasy/a little nauseaus for no reason. I do not have a fever and am worried that I may have some sort of lymphoma or cancer. Two days out of the last week I've woken up with a pressure type headache and feeling nauseaus And this happens a couple times a day (minus the headache). I worry a lot so maybe I'm worrying too much. Your thoughts are appreciated. No family history of anything like this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2016
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

it sounds like you are letting your worries get the better of you.

if the node contained cancer, they would have seen it on ultrasound.

it is very common for lymph nodes in your neck to inflame and swell up when there is infection or swelling in the area.

these lymph nodes are called reactive lymph nodes

and are not cancerous.

lymph nodes are normal parts of your immune system and they filter lymphatic fluid to help keep you healthy.

if you continue to have bad anxiety and worries, you might need treatment for anxiety from your doctor

there are medications which can help decrease anxiety symptoms

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks dr David! I am worried because I have hAd an enlarged node since July that hasn't gone down. Now I have 2 more nodes, one above that one (small) and one in my arm pit. I'm worried because now I'm having nausea at random times throughout the day for no reason.

nausea can be from inflammation of your stomach which can come from too much stomach acid

also anxiety and worry can cause your stomach to produce too much stomach acid.

have you tried acid reducers like zantac or nexium or prilosec and maalox or mylanta? these could help your symptoms .

you have many many lymph nodes in your arm pits and neck and groin area.

these are lymph node beds where hundreds of lymph nodes are below the skin working to help filter lymphatic fluid to help keep you healthy.

if you don't have a cold or infection now, you should thank your lymph nodes for helping to keep you healthy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I understand what you are saying. However, isn't it strange that I've had an enlarged lymphnode since July that hasn't gone Away? Also, my stomach issues happen at random times, I'm not always stressed out and I've been waking up nauseaus sometimes recently as well with a slight head ache. I'm not pregnant. I'm worried because I start feeling warm randomly lately as well (this is all over the course of the last 4 days) the other two nodes are more recent

just because you can feel a lymph node doesn't mean it is enlarged.

normal lymph nodes are between 1-2.5cm in size.

by feeling or squeezing the lymph node frequently, this can cause it to stay swollen longer.

if you are missing meals or not eating dinner or not eating proper meals, this can cause excessive stomach acid during the night and you can wake up with nausea from an empty stomach and not using stomach acid reducers before going to bed.

go see your doctor and show them these lymph nodes.

I bet they will say they are reactive lymph nodes and not cancerous.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks dr David! I have been to the doctors. I'm not sure if you fully read my original question. I had a cat scan of my neck with contrast a few weeks ago and it was normal except it did show an enlarged node. The doctors do not seem worried but that was before I have started feeling sick to my stomach for no reason.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also realize that scans and ultrasounds don't show cells like a biopsy would.

they don't show cells, but they show signs of cancer if there was cancer in your lymph nodes.

cancer in your lymph nodes would cause them to continue to grow and grow and they would not stop growing until you got cancer therapy.

the lymph nodes would have irregular boarders and capsules if they were filled with cancer. not smooth capsules.

you haven't tried any stomach acid blocking medications like zantac or prilosec at night time before bed.

I would try that.

drinking alcohol at night or eating more rich foods you are not use to like around the holidays can cause you to wake up with upset stomach and nausea.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that makes sense. I have been eating pretty badly recently but this happens at all different times throughout the day, not just at night or when I wake up.i am just worried because I have had the one node since July (it's easy to feel) and now two more that don't seem to be going away. Thanks. My stomach hurts now and I haven't even had anything yet.

you need to improve your diet and eat healthier or else your stomach will continue to feel poorly.

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think this is lymphoma related? I am feeling nauseaus today but I do not know why. I'm thinking maybe it is viral, doesn't really seem related to what I'm eating.

I know you don't have lymphoma.

I am a cancer doctor

I treat patients who have lymphoma.

their lymph nodes continue to grow and grow in size until they can cancer therapy.

your lymph nodes are not like that.

if you are eating a poor diet, this can cause you have nausea.

you can't continue to eat a poor diet and not expect to feel bad.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My lymphnodes (the ones that are enlarged generally sTay the same size). I am worried because one has been enlarged for 6 months. It's a decent size but that is the one they scanned. My husband will usually tells me it feels the Same, sometimes it feels a little bigger and then other times a little smaller but there's not much fluctuation. I understand the poor diet thing but this feels more like I'm getting sick and has been for days now. I'm worried because nausea is a part of lymphoma. I might feel crappy all day and then other days I only feel it a couple times. I am pretty tired most of the time but I'm a busy person. This was also happening at work when I wasn't eating anything bad. Thanks for putting up with me.

nausea is not often seen in lymphoma patients.

lymphoma is a very very diverse type of cancer and there are many different types of lymphoma and lymphomas which can occur in different parts of your body.

it sounds like you will continue to worry about lymphoma no matter what I say.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No! I really do appreciate what you are saying! I'm glad you think it's nothing serious despite my lymphnode being enlarged for months! I'm just scared Bc of the two other nodes and now being sick to my stomach.

yes, you keep saying the same thing.

you keep dwelling on these same symptoms.

you are not willing to go see your doctor and you keep worrying about lymphoma.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry I'm driving you crazy! I have been to the doctors (not about the nausea yet).

I will opt out to let another expert help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My only other question was...is it worrisome that my lymphnode has been enlarged for 6 months? Thanks.

no, it is not worrisome that your lymph node has been enlarged for 6 months.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi dr David! Thanks for all your help! My stomachs not feeling too bad tonight but I am worried because I am pretty itchy in different places.

this is not due to lymphoma.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I hope you are right. This is a wide spread itchiness and I know that is a symptom. This has happened to me another time as well.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. One more thing, I just noticed that were I am itchy, I have what look like whitish, little raised bumps...like hives. I've never had this issue before. I noticed earlier that I did have that on my wrist as well but they went away. I know itchiness is a sign of lymphoma so I'm just concerned.!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for messaging you again. I just didn't see the hives or whatever that is until just now. I was also a little warmer when I started itching.

99.9999% of itchiness is not due to lymphma.

you are letting your anxiety get out of control

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand that but I have a big whitish, raised blotch (probably a hive) in one of the places that I was really itchy. I did have wide spread itching, all over my back, legs, etc. not sure why I had that pop up, I know it's not a bug bite because it's January.

if you are scratching your skin from anxiety, this can cause big whitish rashed blotchy skin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi dr David! I had my husband look at my back and arm. I have two hive like/but bite ish spots that were really itchy earlier. I was also itchy in other spots on my legs/wrists,etc. but only have two raised,whitish blotchy spots. I was just concerned because I know itchiness is a symptom of lymphoma. I have occasionally been getting itchy indifferent places and a little warmer but never hives.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David! So not sure if this is connected to lymphoma or what. However, the past few nights, including tonight, I am waking up with a headache (while laying down) and feeling slightly nauseaus. I got up to go to the bathroom and my head was still hurting but seems to resolve after awhile (I am laying back down and can still feel the head ache/queasiness). I'm worried about a possible brain tumor since laying down seems to trigger it. However, I had a ct scan of my heAd/brain a few weeks ago and it was normal (before this started).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why do you think this is happening?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi dr David! I was wondering if you were still available I have a question for you regarding my shoulder/left arm? Thank you so much!
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)