Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My wife has been suffering from some fairly constant and

Customer Question

My wife has been suffering from some fairly constant and severe itching for the past seven or eight months. On 12/31/2014, she had our first child, whom she now stays home with. She has been to 5-6 MDs at this point, a couple GPs, a dermatologist, a internal medicine clinic, and has also seen a gastroenterologist. Her first Dr thought (in my opinion reasonably) that it was some sort of allergic reaction, gave her prednisone, she got better until it was gone and then symptoms returned. She then went to another GP and she diagnosed her (less reasonably in my opinion) with scabies and our whole family was prescribed 5% permethrin cream, which we all used to no avail. She also had blood work done during the appointment and apparently everything came back normal. She then went to a dermatologist multiple times and they went back and forth between contact dermatitis and some sort of allergic reaction (they thought to her birth control, which didn't make a ton of sense to me, but I'm not a MD). Gave her prednisone a few times, took biopsies, etc. - her only relief was when she was on heavier doses of prednisone. I'm trying not to overstep my boundaries or make this into something that's worse than it actually is, but my biggest fear is that it could be lymphoma. She stays out home with our son and breast feeds, which obviously makes her tired, but she seems to be suffering from fatigue that would go beyond just taking care of a child. Beyond that, she is 15 lbs lighter than she was before her pregnancy (lighter than she has been since high school - and she's 29). She also has a couple of swollen lymph nodes, but feels no pain from them. The combination of itching that presents like eczema or allergies, but doesn't seem to be, what I would deem unexplained weight loss, fatigue and painless swollen lymph nodes has me concerned (I forgot to add that the PA from the internal medicine clinic ran 6 different blood tests, all to see if she had gastroentological issues like IBD, crohn's, etc. and they all came back fine. Additionally she had a colonoscopy and other than a benign polyp, that was fine, too). Should I be concerned or do her symptoms/age combination all seem too general to merit that?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I doubt she has lymphoma.

I would make sure the blood works chcked for Ebstein barr virus IgG and IgM levels to see if she might have mononucleosis viral infection which can cause fatigue and weight loss and enlarged lymph nodes.

make sure her blood work checked ANA, ESR, C reactive protein to check for inflammatory markers in the body and potential autoimmune conditions

she should consult with an allergist and get skin allergy testing to try to find out what she might be allergic to

have her keep a food diary and see if certain foods worsen her skin rash allergy symptoms.

she can try benadryl at night time and benadryl creams and 1% hydrocortisone creams over the counter to see if this helps her itchiness.

have her try to use soaps and degergents which are allergen free. make sure she mosturizes her skin after washing with soap

her doctors should also check her thyroid hormone levels a well. abnormal thyroid hormone levels can often cause skin problems.

make sure they checked TSH, T3 and T4 levels

if you have copies of her blood work, I would be happy to review them with you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com