Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My daughter in laws sister has breast cancer (39) and her

Customer Question

My daughter in laws sister has breast cancer (39) and her other sister was tested positive for the something 1 Gene and now my daughter in law just found out she is positive now as well. They are entertaining the selective surgery to remove breasts and ovaries, ages 35,37,39...At any rate, now I am wondering if this is the only test for being positive for a certain gene? My Mom passed away from lung cancer that grew into other organs, my grandma died of colon cancer on my Dad's side and cancer is definitely in our family. Are there other tests besides the one for breast cancer that I can have?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I think you mean the BRCA1 breast cancer gene.

yes, there are other genetic tests you can have

you should see a genetics counselor MD doctor at a large academic university hospital

get your cancer family tree evaluated.

you might need tests for lynch syndrome or gardeners syndrome which can cause early colon cancer.

you definitely need testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation.

the genetics counselor doctor can also suggest any other genetic tests they can do for you to check for early cancers.

you need a colonoscopy at your age as well

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already had a colonoscopy 2 yrs ago and all is well there. My Mom had non hodgkins lymphoma 15 yrs a go and beat it but ended up killing her in a different way anyway. If I was to test positive what could be done if I test positive for something other then breast?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

if you tested positive for BRCA1 and 2, this increases your risks for ovarian cancer and also breast cancer.

so you might need to have your ovaries removed to decrease chances for ovarian cancer.