Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I banged my shin bone at some point a week ago and noticed a

Customer Question
half dollar or more sized...
I banged my shin bone at some point a week ago and noticed a half dollar or more sized green/yellow bruise. I am pale skin naturally and can see leg veins also that are about the same color. The bruise was sore to touch as normal. Its right on my shin
bone. It hasnt really changed in a week. Its hard to see but its still there. I dont bruise easily, as I had another trip and fall and this weekend on my foot and the bruise and scrape is quite small and light from that. Just wondering if its normal for a
bruise to still be present after a week on the shin bone?>
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
11/2/2015
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

yes, it is normal for a bruise to still be there a week later.

the shin bone is a very thin area and bruising under the skin can be very easily seen.

you can try icing the area and elevating the leg to help decrease swelling.

but it can take weeks and weeks for your body to clear out the old blood from a bruise under the skin.

if you are worried about your blood counts, you can see a doctor to get your CBC complete blood counts and platelet levels checked.

but most likely they will be normal

let me know if you have questions.

Ok. If my counts were low,Would I have other symptoms?
Would brusing happen easily and would they be very dark?
This was never a dark bruise, nor do I have easily bruising.
Im so worried now that you mentioned my blood count. Are you suspecting leukemia? I looked it up and it said bruises are generally darker in color with platelet problems.
I do have heavy periods, but Im not on the pill and they have always been very heavy for 1 day of my cycle then they taper off.
The bruise was sore for one week, it isnt sore anymore. but is still there.

yes, if your counts were low, you would have other symptoms.

we don't use bruising speeds or darkness of the bruise to suggest if you might have blood problems.

bruises are too variable for this.

I am not suspecting leukemia.

it sounds like you are having bad anxiety about this

you don't have to have bad anxiety about this bruise.

Ok. I did suddenly feel scared about a blood disorder. I have light skin. So its much easier to see it. Other people can barely see it if i ask if the bruise looks bad but I know its there.I guess a few weeks is normal for a shin bone bruise?

yes a few weeks for a bruise to get better is completely normal

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Should I go for blood testing after a few weeks pass and its still there?

you can go for blood testing at any time.

I bet money that your blood tests will be normal.

I had my blood tested in June. Is that too far away from now to be accurate?

no, that is fine.

I bet it was normal.

I bet your blood tests now would be normal.

They were normal. They also checked all my hormones levels then. All were normal.I dont feel tired or weak and Ive banged my self in other areas and havent gotten a bruise. So i dont bruise easily.

that part of the leg can be easy to bruise.

ok. Thanks. Im going to try to not think I have a blood cancer over this

good idea

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Attached is a photo of my bruise and leg veins. Do you see anything concerning ?

there is absolutely nothing worrisome about this bruise.

you are letting your anxiety get out of control with worry here.

everything is normal.

your prior blood tests are normal

you don't have a blood disorder.

Ok. Thank you. It seems very dis colored and large. I am so paniced it's from a blood problem

you are letting your anxiety get out of control

you need to talk to your doctor about this anxiety and worry you have

you might benefit from psychotherapy or talk therapy.

you don't have a blood disorder

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

What are the possible reasons my shin bruise is still there after a week?
It isnt really changing color.It isnt tender anymore though.

blood under the skin can deposit hemosiderin and cause color changes.

it will take longer to get better

you don't have a blood disorder.

why don't you leave positive feedback for my help for you so far on this question?

I will. Im trying to get an answer about this bruise after a week.
The fact that is stopped being tender is a good sign that it is healing?Im very bothered by the bruise and the veins around it being so visible.

yes, it is healing.

it is your anxiety symptoms making you worried about the bruise

I have looked at a photo of the area

there is no worries.

you had had normal blood tests before in June

if you get blood tests again, they will be normal.

everything is 100% normal.

you don't have a blood cancer or leukemia.

These are the veins above the bruise on My leg. Just became noticeable. Why? Bruise related? Vein problem?
H

those veins are normal veins in your leg

Ok. And newly noticeable veins in my leg are normal to have with fair skin?

yes, I said they were normal.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)