Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had an X-ray done and I have a report from the ENT and I

Customer Question

I had an X-ray done and I have a report from the ENT and I am looking for some clarification. The report reads exactly this: 1) Several bilateral high attenuation well defined not infiltrating lesions are noted in the paranoid glands. Although the differential
diagnosis includes a salivary gland lesion such as a mucoid epidermoid carcinoma or adenoid cystic carcinoma the bilaterally and appearance is suggestive of a Wharton's tumor. Please see further evaluation for biopsy. 2) low attenuation lesions are noted in
the bilateral thyroid up to 1.3 cm on right.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

an xray is not the best way to tell what these bilateral high attenuation lesions are in the parotid gland.

high attenuation on xray means they are dense, like bone or containing calcium.

wharton's tumors are benign cystic masses of the salivary glands containing abundant lymphocytes and germinal centers. they are not cancerous and are not lethal

parotid ultrasounds or a CT scan or MRI scan would be better at looking at both of your parotid glands.

you should also get a thyroid ultrasound to check on the thyroid and also blood tests to check thyroid hormone levels

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both scheduled on Tuesday however I am just confused as to what the report is trying to say. Part of it speaks as if it's cancer and then it says Whartin tumor.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it means on xray, you can't tell what it is.

whatever it is it is on both sides.

it would be very unlikely for there to be a dangerous cancer on both parotid glands.

the radiologist means to say it is more likely for there to be a benign thing called Whartin tumor on both parotid glands which is a benign cystic mass in the salivary glands containing abundant lymphocytes and germinal centers.