Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and I have surgery

Customer Question
Hello I was diagnosed with...
Hello I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and I have surgery nov 19 my blood work is all normal with the exception of calcium 10.4 pth 52.8 vitamin d 0.22 . I did a scan and it showed the adoma on upper left pole . My concern and question is my ESR
was a 38 ... Can this mean cancer ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2015
Oncologist: DrRussMd, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Doctor (MD)

Hello

Not likely

It would usually be higher in active cancer.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

we don't use ESR to look for cancer. it is unreliable.

ESR is an old test to look for general inflammation in the body.

many things can cause ESR to be elevated.

your diagnosis of hyperparathyroidism can cause elevation of ESR.

cancer would be very rare at your age.

I hope your parathyroid surgery goes well.

make sure your doctors also check your thyroid hormone levels before and after your surgery.

I'm sure they have

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)