Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Swollen axillary lymph node on left side only. Started with

Customer Question
one lymph node gettiing big...
Swollen axillary lymph node on left side only. Started with one lymph node gettiing big and enflamed and a couple of 'acne spots.' That lymph node decreased in size, but now a new lymph node or two has become enflamed and several acne spots have come. All of it only in the left armpit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
All of this appeared pretty suddenly within the past week. Only a little painful. 1 or 2 out of 10.
10/9/2015
Oncologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your condition. There are number of things which can cause these sort of enlarged lymph nodes. Some of them are benign while others can be more serious in nature. Now the cause of these lymph nodes can be determined only after a complete clinical examination, the reason for this is that many of the causes can only be picked up after determining the consistency and size of the lymph nodes.

Now in your case, as you have not mentioned any other symptoms, its likely that this can be due to a localized infection. Yopu have mentioned a couple of acne spots, these spots can also be the start of a rash. A picture would be helpful in narrowing the diagnosis. Simple infections of the lymph nodes can cause them to be inflammed and painful to touch. The area overlying them can be red in color. Now in most cases simple antibiotics can help in reducing the inflammation and getting rid of the infection. the infection can be present in the region which is drained by the lymph nodes which in this case can be the arm and hand and the chest wall.

Now apart from an infection this can be due to other conditions such as a malig***** *****ke lymphomas which would present with enlarged lymph nodes which are firm to hard in consistency, or even rubbery in nature. Usually these are painless in nature. This can be diagnosed with the help of a lymph node biopsy.

Now i would recommend taht you get a clinical examination as soon as possible and if needed get a lymph node biopsy done. As this will be the only way to diagnose the underlying cause. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask them.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor