Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

My mother has to undergo a Wertheim operation tomorrow

Customer Question
morning because of cervixcancer. Removing...
My mother has to undergo a Wertheim operation tomorrow morning because of cervixcancer. Removing the uterus, phelopian tubes and lymphenodes in the underbelly. She is stage 1b2 and the cancer is a little over 1 cm. The bloodtest shows no sign of cancer in the lymphenodes. But they still want to remove the lymphenodes for total safety and later inspection if i understanded correctly. But now we found out there is a chance of lymphedema. So my question is how big are the chances of lymhedema after lymphenodes removal and what if we decide not to remove or remove some of the lymphenodes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
9/2/2015
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

This is dr David

Sentinel lymph node dissection of a few nodes in the pelvis would not lead to risks for lymphedema

Ask if the surgeons can do a sentinel lymph node dissection of a few pelvic lymph nodes

Inguinal lymph nodes most likely don't have to be removed

Chance of lymphedema is very low with sentinel lymph node dissection

If we choose to only remove the sentinel lymphe nodes, what are the chances of cancer cells in the inguinal lymphe nodes? Are there known risk rates for this case?

the chances of cancer cells in the inguinal lymph nodes are super super super small

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4264425/

her tumor is less than 2cm, so less than 8% risk for lymph node spread.

What are the chances of lymphedema after inguinal and sentinel lymphe nodes removal?

all of the inguinal lymph nodes should not be removed.

if only sentinel pelvic lymph node dissection is performed then lymphedema risks are very very low.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)