Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was just told that I have a WBC count of 2.4 which is down

Customer Question

I was just told that I have a WBC count of 2.4 which is down from 2.7 a few weeks ago. I am a healthy female 54 years of age. What may be happening here?
I am actively working and travelling just about 4-5 days per week for my job, I take a lot of vitamins and try to eat healthy. I don't have heart problems or HTN but do tend to be anemic and have not been able to give blood at the Red Cross for several years. Because of my job I do often feel run down and fatigued
The only cancer in my family is on my father's side as my father died of prostate cancer. My mother died of COPD and heart problems mainly due to smoking
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I would not think about cancer at this point.
but you do need to see a hematologist and get a full workup and spleen ultrasound and you might benefit from a bone marrow biopsy.
your bone marrow could be feeling wiped out and not making enough white or red blood cells.
only more testing will be able to tell what is going on
your GP doctor can refer you to see a hematologist
just a low WBC count right now does not point to cancer
let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
do you have any other questions?